Skip to main content
Steps in the Research Process
- This guide is intended to help students better understand the process of conducting secondary research for writing their own original academic papers.
- Secondary research involves gathering, synthesizing, and analyzing existing research available in books, articles, statistical sources or other published data.
- A research paper is not summary or merely accumulating facts.
- Research should expand our understanding of the known world and build upon previous scholarship or offer new insights based on critical evaluation of evidence.
- Steps in the Research Process:
- It may be necessary to revisit some of these steps as you progress in your research.
- You may find that your initial expectations are not supported, new questions arise, or there are gaps in the research.
- Flexibility, following the trail of evidence, and reflecting on different ways to phrase or frame your topic are invaluable in dealing with the challenges of research.
- Cultivating the skills needed to be an effective researcher are integral to professional success and informed citizenship.